Friday, June 25, 2010

My Favorite City

 (A sunset picture just down from our house in Waikiki, Oahu)
My favorite city in all of Hawaii is Lahaina on Maui.  It is a beautiful, oceanfront touristy town.  They have the coolest little stores with everything you can think of: from flip-flops to jewelry to a variety of foods.  There are the little stores, then sidewalk, road and ocean is right there!  It is beautiful to drive down the road, but getting out and walking down there is breathtaking, especially during sunset hours.  My husband and I would walk down the street, shopping here and there and just enjoying the scenery.  Our favorite place to eat was a little pizzeria that overlooked the road and ocean.  Besides being busy in there, it was a great place to just hang out and relax.  We bought my wedding ring there in one of the stores and that made it even more special.
 (One of my other favorite places-Waipio Valley Lookout on the Big Island-that looks like a fake backdrop but it's real!)
One thing that stands out in my mind is when we had gone to Maui to do some concert shows and we took a couple extra days to explore the island.  It was Superbowl weekend and we were at some little restaurant watching the game and eating a quick bite before flying out in a few hours.  At halftime, the game didn't seem to be going anywhere, so we decided to.  There is a famous highway called the "Road to Hana".  It is a very windy road that goes up the side of this mountain and has a great view from the top.  Well, we had wanted to drive up it but were running out of time.  My husband said, "Oh, we have plenty of time to get up there and back before our flight".  I agreed to go, but soon my stomach was turning!  Going up the road wouldn't have been that bad except we had just eaten, we were in a hurry and I get carsick as it is!  Well, we made it over halfway up when we decided to turn around to make sure we met our flight.  I couldn't have been more relieved!  I made it through without throwing any chunks, but as beautiful as it was, I was happy to get out of there!
I have lots of great memories in Hawaii, but some of my favorite ones happened in Lahaina.  Just special moments and adventures my honey and I shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment